Understanding your ideal client avatar (or customer, or student — but I’ll be using client throughout this post for brevity’s sake!) is key to the success of your yoga business.
When you intimately understand your ideal client’s hopes, fears, desires, dreams, and needs, you’re able to speak directly to them and share your offerings with the exact people who need them.
Your ideal client avatar represents one single perfect client who wants and needs your products and services. This ideal client avatar (ICA) is the person you love to work with, making them a perfect fit for exactly what it is you do!
Pin me first? Then keep reading!
Why create an ideal client avatar
When you understand your ideal client avatar (ICA), all of your marketing will be specific and will speak to this one ideal client. In doing this, of course, you’ll be speaking to many more people than just one.
Specifically, when you create your ideal client avatar you’ll be able to:
- Determine which social media platforms they spend the most time on (so you can be there, too!)
- Write marketing copy that has an impact for them
- Develop and create better products and services (because you intimately understand their needs!)
How to discover your ideal client avatar
Carve out some time to go deep and reflect on your business and clientele. If you’re able to interview some of your clients to help you answer these questions in even more depth and detail, all the better — but it’s not required!
Here are some questions to explore to help you find your ideal client avatar. Some may or may not be relevant to your business— take what works and leave what doesn’t!
Questions for your ideal client avatar
- What are their demographics? (Include age, gender, location, income, and any other relevant information)
- What are they passionate about?
- What’s their vision for their life?
- How do they spend a typical day/typical week?
- What are their hobbies and interests?
- What do they look for in a product/service?
- How does your product/service better their life?
- What about your product/service matters to this person?
- What is their life like? (Kids, what they do for work, etc.) What’s their favorite part?
- What is their relationship with their spirituality and with yoga?
- What are they looking for in a yoga practice?
- What are they looking for in a yoga teacher?
- What is their biggest problem with yoga and the yoga community? What do they wish was different about it?
- What would their dream solution be?
- How do they like to experience yoga? (Private sessions, group classes, workshops, online classes, etc.)
I love these words from Medium: “Think of your best customers. Think of who they are, why they came to you, and in a hazy, non-distinct way, think about the type of person that person is like. Think about someone famous that you would love to work with. Don’t define these people in your work, define the group to which these people belong.”
If you’re looking for a template for a customer avatar, a great one is this one from Keap.
That’s it! Exploring your ideal customer avatar can be a lot of fun — so enjoy it and get creative! Looking for more digital marketing advice for your yoga business? Check out these articles from The Yoga Nomads:
- Email Marketing Tips for Yoga Teachers
- 7 Steps to Create a Yoga Website You Love
- Marketing 101: A Complete Guide for Yoga Teachers
- 14 Popular Yoga Teachers Reveal Their Secrets for Online Marketing