Anyone shopping for plus size workout clothes has probably encountered the same problems: leggings that are too loose at the top, too tight in the calves, and roll down while you move.
Even worse, too many pairs of plus size workout pants don’t pass the “squat test” and become embarrassingly see-through in a downward dog.
For years, yoga pants seemed to be made for only one body type and any plus size yogis were basically left on the back burner. But now there are finally some yoga brands that know how to cater to plus size yogis.
We decided to hunt them down and review the best plus size leggings on the market.
Whether you’re hitting a yoga class or running errands, you need leggings that perform on the mat while flattering your curves. Here are the top 11 plus size leggings for wearing on any occasion.
- 1 Quick Picks
- 2 Top 11 Plus Size Yoga Pants
- 2.1 Earth Compressive Pocket Legging
- 2.2 Elation Flare Pant from Athleta
- 2.3 Align Super High-Rise Tight by Lululemon
- 2.4 YOHOYOHA Women’s Yoga Pants Plus Size Breathable Mesh Splice Tummy Control Best Long Workout...
- 2.5 Spacedye Walk and Talk High Waisted Capris from Beyond Yoga
- 2.6 Gboomo Womens Plus Size Lounge Pants Casual Stretchy Jogger Ankle Length Loose Yoga Sweatpants with...
- 2.7 Physique Plus Size 2-Piece Outfit from Fabletics
- 2.8 Stretch is Comfort Women's Foldover Plus Size Yoga Pants Black 3X
- 2.9 Just My Size Women's Plus Size Active Pieced Stretch Capri, Spot on Slate Grey/Black, 3X
- 2.10 Uoohal High Waist Yoga Pants with Pockets Tummy Control Women Plus Size Yoga Leggings Workout Sports...
- 2.11 Hi Clasmix Plus Size Leggings for Women-High Waisted Super Soft Maternity Black Leggings Yoga...
- 3 Buying Guide: How to Find the Perfect Pair of Plus Size Yoga Pants
- 4 Closing Thoughts
- Best Overall: Earth Compressive Pocket Legging from Girlfriend Collective
- Best Flare Pant: Elation Flare Pant from Athleta
- Best Second Skin Feel: Align Super High-Rise Tight by Lululemon
- Best Breathable Leggings: YOHOYOHA Women’s Plus Size Yoga Pants with Breathable Mesh
- Softest Plus Size Yoga Pants: Spacedye Walk and Talk High Waisted Capris from Beyond Yoga
- Best Plus Size Jogger: Gboomo Women’s Plus Size Lounge Pants
- Best 2 Piece Yoga Pant Outfit: Physique Plus Size 2-Piece Outfit from Fabletics
- Best Foldover Yoga Pants: Stretch is Comfort Women’s Foldover Plus Size Yoga Pants
- Best Plus Size Yoga Capri: Just My Size Women’s Plus Size Active Pieced Stretch Capri
- Best Tummy Control Legging: Uoohal Women’s Plus Size Active Leggings
- Budget Pick: Hi Clasmix Plus Size Leggings
Top 11 Plus Size Yoga Pants
|Product's Name||Features||Fabric||Fit||More Info|
|Best Overall |
Earth Compressive Pocket Legging
|Compressive fit, wide waistband, double pockets, sizes up to 6XL||79% recycled plastic bottles and 21% spandex||Ultra high waist legging||See Latest Price|
|Best Flare Pant:|
Elation Flare Pant from Athleta
|Quick drying, compression, buttery smooth||Nylon and lycra blend||High rise flare pant||See Latest Price|
|Best Second Skin Feel:|
Align Super High-Rise Tight by Lululemon
|Weightless, full coverage, wide waistband||Signature Nulu fabric||Ultra high waist legging||See Latest Price|
|Best Breathable Leggings|
YOHOYOHA Women’s Yoga Pants Plus Size Breathable Mesh Splice Tummy...
|Mesh cutouts, extra breathable and sweat-wicking||88% polyester and 12% spandex||High waist, no-roll tummy control||See latest price|
|Softest Plus Size Yoga Pants|
Spacedye Walk and Talk High Waisted Capris from Beyond Yoga
|No outer seams, crazy soft, extra moisture-wicking properties||87% polyester and 13% lycra||5” high waistband with mid-calf cut||See Latest Price|
|Best Plus Size Jogger|
Gboomo Womens Plus Size Lounge Pants Casual Stretchy Jogger Ankle Length...
|Drawstring waist, elastic ankles, airy fit||Synthetic blend||Semi-fitted jogger with elastic waistband||See latest price|
|Best 2 Piece Yoga Pant Outfit|
Physique Plus Size 2-Piece Outfit from Fabletics
|Crossover waistband for flattering stomach cut||82% polyester and 18% spandex||Matching set of high rise leggings and loose muscle top||See Latest Price|
|Best Foldover Yoga Pants|
Stretch is Comfort Women's Foldover Plus Size Yoga Pants Black 3X
|Lightweight comfy feel, adjustable foldover fit||Cotton and spandex blend||Foldover mid-rise tapered pant||See latest price|
|Best Plus Size Yoga Capri|
Just My Size Women's Plus Size Active Pieced Stretch Capri, Spot on Slate...
|Muffin-top-free waistband, light compression, cooling fabric||88% polyester and 12% spandex||High waist capri||See latest price|
|Best Tummy Control Legging|
Uoohal High Waist Yoga Pants with Pockets Tummy Control Women Plus Size...
|Squat proof, no chafing, wide waistband, huge pockets||87% nylon and 12% spandex||Flattering high rise legging||See latest price|
Hi Clasmix Plus Size Leggings for Women-High Waisted Super Soft Maternity...
|Stretchy stomach control, hip-hugging, maintains shape||Thick synthetic blend||High waist legging||See latest price|
When it comes to plus size active leggings, Girlfriend Collective is a newer brand that has really taken center stage. They offer extended sizes through 6XL and actually design each size to flatter the unique body types (rather than just doubling the dimensions like it seems some brands do).
Not only do their leggings feel outrageously soft like second-skin, but they’re also flattering AF. Designed for high impact workouts or sweaty yoga sessions, these leggings are perfectly compressive, totally squat-proof, and feature an ultra high waist for comfy, easygoing movement. The double side pockets are super handy for your phone or wallet.
But what really blows us away is the ethos behind Girlfriend Collective. This brand is super committed to sustainability and complete transparency about their production process.
These leggings in particular are made of 79% recycled plastic and 21% spandex. They are made with 25 recycled water bottles and helped to save 18 lbs of CO2 and 3 gallons of water in the production process. And they are completely recyclable via their ReGirlfriend program.
Best Flare Pant:
Thank goodness the flare is making a comeback! These classic high rise yoga pants are so freaking cozy and flattering. They have a tapered leg and a silhouette that is nice enough to run errands in (while still feeling like you’re wearing lounge pants).
The material is moisture wicking, quick-drying, and oh so breathable. They also feature compression in all the right places so you feel supportive without any digging in.
Best Second Skin Feel:
Although Lulu didn’t start off with the best reputation amongst plus size yogis, they have finally stepped up to the plate and created extended size yoga pants that truly perform on the mat. This pair is truly weightless. It has that second-skin feeling you crave while still providing full coverage and never hindering your range of motion.
We love the smooth Nulu fabric and the extra high waisted cut that smooths and flatters curves. There is also a hidden pocket in the waistband and plenty of matching sports bra options.
Compared to Athleta, Lulu’s sizing is a little different (0-33) so you may need to use their size chart to figure out which fit is best for you. The Lululemon vs. Athleta debate has been up in the air for awhile. Here’s our in-depth comparison on the two brands so you can be the judge for yourself.
Best Breathable Leggings:
YOHOYOHA Women’s Yoga Pants Plus Size Breathable Mesh Splice Tummy Control Best Long Workout...See latest price
If you’re prone to getting extra sweaty during your yoga workouts, you’re not alone. This pair incorporates lovely mesh cutouts along the leg for maximum breathability and range of motion. We love the high waist tummy control fit that contours curves and lightly compresses like shapewear.
These leggings are available in XL-4X and 5 unique patterns, all featuring a convenient roomy phone pocket. The fabric is 88% polyester and 12% spandex and machine washable.
Softest Plus Size Yoga Pants:
Beyond Yoga’s signature 5″ high waistband and lower calf cut flatters sizes XL-4X perfectly. These yoga pants are made in the USA and feature a tried-and-tested fit by their in-house team.
There are no outside seams on this buttery soft performance fabric. It is made of 87% polyester and 13% lycra to move with you no matter the pose. In spite of its crazy soft texture, the fabric is also super moisture wicking and easy to care for in a standard washer and dryer.
Best Plus Size Jogger:
Gboomo Womens Plus Size Lounge Pants Casual Stretchy Jogger Ankle Length Loose Yoga Sweatpants with...See latest price
This semi-fitted jogger design is perfect for yoga, lounging, and running errands. It skims over your body and features a nice high rise with a drawstring elastic waistband. The ankle cuffs are also elastic so they don’t ride up in inverted poses.
The fabric is nice and stretchy, with an array of fun prints and sizing up to 4XL. Specifically designed for plus size bodies, Gboomo rivals other brands online with its bargain price tag and quality sewn designs.
Best 2 Piece Yoga Pant Outfit:
This matching set of black leggings and a super soft tank is incredibly flattering and equally impressive on the mat.
The PureLuxe crossover leggings feel luxurious on your skin and stay in place as you twist and stretch. The top is flowy and breathable with a moisture wicking fabric and arm-flattering “muscle tee” cut. Both pieces come in XL-4X sizing and an array of nice colors if plain black isn’t quite your thing.
Best Foldover Yoga Pants:
Stretch is Comfort Women's Foldover Plus Size Yoga Pants Black 3XSee latest price
Y2K is making a comeback with our favorite foldover style yoga pants with that classic cotton and spandex stretch. This pair is next-level comfortable and super light on your stomach, perfect for post-dinner yoga or that time of month. You can adjust the waistband for high or mid rise and choose from an array of colors (including a zebra print foldover waist!)
These pants come in so many styles, including bootcut or skinny, contrast foldover or solid color. And bonus points for sizing up to 7X! They’re our go to for lazy Sundays and relaxing yin yoga before bed.
Best Plus Size Yoga Capri:
Just My Size Women's Plus Size Active Pieced Stretch Capri, Spot on Slate Grey/Black, 3XSee latest price
The wide comfortable waistband and flattering calf cut makes these leggings feel like you’re wearing next to nothing (except that they actually cover all the important parts). We love the slight compression in the waist that hides belly pudge without digging in or causing a muffin top.
These active bottoms stay put and are really decent quality for the price. The nice patterned color options are cute and great for hiding cellulite as well.
Best Tummy Control Legging:
Uoohal High Waist Yoga Pants with Pockets Tummy Control Women Plus Size Yoga Leggings Workout Sports...See latest price
Huge pockets, squat proof fabric, tons of color options, affordable price point, and the perfect no-muffin-top waistband? What more could you ask for?
When it comes to plus size workout gear, it’s hard to find leggings that truly fit well and don’t break the bank. These high rise leggings have the best tummy control that stays smooth and soft without digging in. The material is perfectly sweat-wicking and the shape is designed with your curves in mind.
Hi Clasmix Plus Size Leggings for Women-High Waisted Super Soft Maternity Black Leggings Yoga...See latest price
These are by far the best plus size yoga leggings we’ve found for under $20. The high rise design perfect hugs your hips and creates a narrow silhouette for tummy control and no-roll workouts. We also love that the leg seams are slimming and stretchy.
Buying Guide: How to Find the Perfect Pair of Plus Size Yoga Pants
With so many strange silhouettes and crappy designs out there, shopping for plus size yoga pants is not always easy. If you want something that keeps you cool, stays in place, and feels like your wearing custom made clothing, you’ve got to look for the right styles and fabrics.
- Style: The most popular yoga pant styles these days are high rise and tight. They look great on most everyone and can be dressed up or down. But if that’s not your thing, search for plus size workout gear that has a tapered leg, foldover waist, or a loose jogger silhouette.
- Sizing: Leggings can vary widely in their stretchiness and dimensions. Don’t get stuck thinking that a certain size in regular pants will be the same with active bottoms. Oftentimes you may need to read reviews to see if certain yoga pants run small or large.
- Fabric: If you tend to carry more weight in your midsection or thighs, go for a polyester or spandex fabric blend that is extra stretchy. Cotton fabrics are less sweat-wicking and may not hold their shape after wearing and washing.
- Waist Style: High waist or mid rise with a wide band tend to be the best leggings on curvy bodies. They create a tummy tucking effect that you can wear with a sports bra or under a full length top.
- Pro Tip: If you’ve had issues with leggings that dig into your waist or roll down when you bend over, go for a wide waistband or elastic waistband that will stay put as you flow.
These days, yoga pants and leggings are where fitness meets fashion. Whether you’re going for a workout or putting together your favorite athleisure style, all women need a quality pair of leggings that hug, tuck, and breathe in the right spots.
The best plus size yoga pants are from reputable, time-tested brands that prioritize extended sizing and special styles that move with your curves.