Whether you’ve been practicing for 6 months or 6 years, there may come a time when your yoga practice feels stale. It can be frustrating, especially after experiencing periods of tremendous personal growth. I believe plateaus are just part of the process and most people experience them. If you feel that you’re at a plateau or that you just want more yoga in your life…
Here are 24 ways to take your practice to the next level!
- Test out a new studio – many studios offer free trial periods.
- Attend a workshop – learning new skills will deepen your practice!
- Go on a retreat – go someplace warm and relax by practicing yoga on the beach.
- Master a pose – pick a pose, practice it daily, learn benefits, history, & alignment
- Change your routine – typically practice in the morning? Try afternoon or evenings.
- Read about yoga – what interests you: Posture study, novel, daily yoga wisdom?
- Experiment with new styles – frequent Vinyasa? Try Bikram, Ashtanga, or Iyengar.
- Start meditating – calm your mind – free guides from Sounds True.
- Find a new teacher – new poses & perspectives will keep it fresh!
- Pranayama exercises– practice mindful breathing anywhere!
- Find a mentor – ask your favorite teacher where to start, maybe they’ll volunteer!
- Research Patanjali – he’s credited for bringing yoga to the west.
- Bring a friend to their first class – make it fun! You may even change their life.
- Limit harmful foods – cut out one: dairy, meat, gluten, sugar, caffeine, or alcohol
- Eat super-foods – chia seeds & Raw Cacao are my favorite yogi-certified foods
- Smile in class – sounds silly but observe how it changes everything.
- Set a dedication – as you begin class and focus on it throughout.
- Ditch the mirror – feel the pose instead of look like the pose.
- Focus on your breath – notice sensation in your belly/nostrils as air comes in & out.
- Read our blog – and other blogs to pick up tips & to find an online community.
- Practice at home – start with a simple 15-minute morning sequence.
- Find a yoga pal – practice, learn, and grow with someone of similar goals.
- Invest in new gear – get excited about a new mat, towel, water bottle, yoga clothes.
- Become a teacher – expect major growth & deep new friendships (maybe a career)
Want more where that came from? Don’t miss a beat, join our tribe!
PS: Please comment on something that has helped your practice!
Photo Credit: Mindbodygreen.com