Don’t you wish you could just toss all your yoga gear in an organized bag and head to or from the studio without hassle?
I used to be that annoying student in yoga class… awkwardly undoing the velcro straps of my cheap flimsy mat straps and disrupting all the pre-class relaxation with that scratchy awful sound. I had a pile of stuff with me and nothing to carry it in.
When I switched to a yoga bag, I finally realized what I had been missing! A yoga mat bag remedies this issue and many others by keeping your mat clean, dry, rolled up, and easy to transport (plus, it’s very quiet to load and unload).
- 1 What’s the Best Yoga Mat Bags? Quick Links
- 2 Why Use a Yoga Bag?
- 3 Benefits of a yoga mat bag include:
- 4 Top 6 Yoga Mat Bags Comparison Chart
- 4.1 Best Overall: lululemon Adjustable Yoga Mat Bag 16L
- 4.2 Also great: Skooba Design Hotdog Yoga Rollpack
- 4.3 Best Yoga Duffle Bag: Kindfolk Yoga Mat Duffle Bag
- 4.4 Best All-in-One: Explore Land Oxford Yoga Mat Storage Bag
- 4.5 Best Yoga Sling Bag: The Original YogiiiTote
- 4.6 Best Yoga Back Pack: Aurorae Yoga Mat Carrier Bag
- 4.7 Best Mat Strap: Manduka Go Light Yoga Mat Carrier
- 4.8 Best Stylish Mat Bag: Elenture Yoga Mat Bag
- 4.9 Most Eco-Friendly: Yoloha Yoga Cork Yoga Mat Bag
- 5 How to Choose the Best Yoga Bag
- 6 Quick and Easy Transport
What’s the Best Yoga Mat Bags? Quick Links
- Best Overall: Skooba Design Hotdog Yoga Rollpack
- Best Yoga Duffle Bag: Kindfolk Yoga Mat Duffle Bag
- Best Yoga Sling Bag: The Original YogiiiTote
- Best Yoga Back Pack: Aurorae Yoga Mat Carrier Bag
- Best Mat Strap: Manduka Go Play Yoga Mat Carrier
- Best Stylish Mat Bag: Elenture Yoga Mat Bag
But some yoga mat bags are absolute junk: they barely fit the thinnest mats, they rip at the seams, or they are made from heavy non-washable fabric. You need something that is functional, durable, stylish, and ergonomic (easy to put the mat into and easy to carry). A yoga mat bag should have pockets for everything you need and an easy grab-and-go design for getting to the studio stress-free.
We checked out the top-rated bags on the market to help you decide which one is best to store and carry your yoga gear.
Why Use a Yoga Bag?
If you’re trying to decide if a yoga mat bag is worth it, consider how long it takes to get all your gear together to go to the studio. I wanted to have everything in one place to simply grab-and-go and easily store when I get home. No more last minute rolling up a mat or stuffing blocks and towels into a duffle bag.
Benefits of a yoga mat bag include:
- Keep your mat rolled up
- Protect your gear from dirt, grime, and the elements
- Less cleaning
- Less organizational issues
- Easy to stash at the studio
- Keep all your yoga gear in one place
- Sling it over your shoulder on-the-go
- No annoying mat straps (or that terrible velcro sound)
- Store water bottles, towels, blocks, clothes, phone, and anything else you need for yoga
Top 6 Yoga Mat Bags Comparison Chart
|Product's name||Size||Material||More Info|
Hotdog Yoga Rollpack, Black/Atlantic Blue
|21” x 18” x 6”||Nylon||See latest price|
|Yoga Duffle Bag|
Kindfolk Yoga Mat Duffel Bag Canvas with Pocket and Zipper (Celestial)
|27.5” x 7.8” x 7.8”||Pattern canvas||See latest price|
|Yoga Sling Bag|
Yogiii Yoga Mat Bag | The ORIGINAL YogiiiTote Yoga Bag | Sling Mat Tote...
|31” x 19” x 13”||Cotton canvas||See latest price|
AURORAE Yoga Mat/Gym Cross-body Travel Sling Back Pack. Mat sold...
|?||Heavy duty polyester||See latest price|
|Best Mat Strap|
Manduka Go Play 3.0 Yoga Mat Bag, Black, One Size
|7.8” x 7.8” x 1”||100% polyester||See latest price|
|Stylish Mat Bag|
ELENTURE Full-Zip Exercise Yoga Mat Carry Bag with Multi-Functional Storage...
|26” long x 6.5” diameter||Canvas||See latest price|
Best Overall: lululemon
Adjustable Yoga Mat Bag 16L
This yoga mat bag is cream of the crop. Made of durable water-repellent fabric, lululemon’s yoga bag is super high quality and aesthetic. It has an exterior water bottle holder and easy-access exterior pocket for keys and wallet. The adjustable shoulder strap is removable and comfortable on your arm.
You won’t have to struggle to get your mat in because the mat opening is extra wide and easy to open. It will hold lululemon’s The Big Mat or any other extra wide and long mat. It includes a simple drawstring that holds the mat in place.
Overall, we are really impressed with this yoga bag because of how easy it is to use. It has enough room for all the essentials without being too bulky. Once again, Lulu does not disappoint!
Also great: Skooba Design Hotdog Yoga RollpackSee latest price
The Skooba rollpack packs up like a gym bag, hangs flat like a tote bag, and carries like a mat bag. Specially designed with yogis in mind, this rollpack has a centralized space for your yoga mat that balances out the weight for easy carrying. There are 8 separate storage spaces and zippered pockets, as well as a water bottle holder. But wait… there’s still more!
This bag wowed me with how organized it truly is. You can fit everything in there: clothes, toiletries, towel, water bottle, phone, wallet, and of course your mat! The durable nylon material is water-resistant, stain-resistant, and easy to wipe down. It looks sleek and unassuming, so it’s also great for travel.
Despite all the bells and whistles, it’s still super lightweight (only 20 ounces empty) and designed with ergonomics in mind. This yoga mat bag perfectly fits the Manduka Pro mat along with a towel or two. It will hold most other regular-sized or large mats, but may be too loose for thinner mats.
- 8 separate storage spaces (include clothing section, mat sling, 2 cargo pockets, zipper pocket, and water bottle caddy)
- Smooth nylon and micro-ballistic exterior
- Clothing compartment keeps clothes from getting wrinkled
- Easy to clean and wipe down
- Balanced center-of-gravity when carrying
- Sleek, modern look
- Ultra lightweight
- Strong zippers
- Tough durable material
- 2 color materials
- Easy to clip-in your mat after class (rather than trying to shove the sweaty mat into a pouch or strap)
- Thinner mats may be carried loosely in the mat sling section
- Strap does not have padding
Best Yoga Duffle Bag: Kindfolk Yoga Mat Duffle BagSee latest price
Kindfolk designed this super cute yoga duffle with the stylish yogi in mind. If you really like the idea of just shoving in your mat at the end of your practice (no complicated straps or buckles), then this is for you. It fits 2 small, or 1 regular or extra large mat.
The big, open design can also fit yoga blocks, straps, towels, or accessories. There is an outside pocket for your keys or cell phone. Just throw it all in there! The canvas material is heavy-duty and comes in a range of colors and patterns, making this an awesome yoga gift. The main downside is a lack of organizational compartments, but this bag excels in its simplicity and beauty!
- Fits standard size and thick mats (up to 26” wide)
- Vegan leather and environmentally friendly
- Simple open design
- Throw it all in and go!
- Beautiful style and color options
- Durable, high-quality canvas
- Donates $1 for every unit sold to women empowerment
- Can only be hand-washed
- No organizational pockets
Best All-in-One: Explore Land Oxford Yoga Mat Storage Bag
This yoga bag offers professional-grade storage space at a bargain price. It is available in two sizes for different mat thicknesses. The durable canvas material is tear-resistant and reinforced with double stitching. For yogis who like to practice outside or at the beach, this is the bag for you!
The adjustable padded strap makes it super comfortable to carry on your shoulder or as a crossbody yoga bag. The top access means you can access your mat effortlessly. Plus, your water bottle, towels, and other gear are within hands-reach! The external pop-out pocket is roomy and has a mesh window to provide air circulation. There is a hidden zip pocket to hold the important valuables.
We love the vertical design that makes carrying your yoga mat effortless. The water-resistant material is also perfect for rainy days. The only downside is that this mat has trouble supporting the heavy weight of ultra-thick mats.
Best Yoga Sling Bag: The Original YogiiiToteSee latest price
The simplistic sling style is appealing for carrying your mat upright and showing off that you’re going to/from the studio. There are no buckets or fasteners, just a simple shoulder strap tote bag designed especially for tossing in a mat and maybe a few accessories. The mat hangs out the top and balances vertically as opposed to horizontally while you’re carrying it. The strap is really comfortable for lightweight mats, but may be a little too light duty for larger mats.
The YogiiiTote includes a large mat compartment, one large side pocket for your water bottle or towel, and a small interior zipper pocket for your keys, wallet, and phone. The durable cotton canvas material is nice to the touch and comes in a variety of gem-toned colors. This bag is also multifunctional for taking to the grocery store or beach. It stores very small when there’s nothing in it.
- High quality cotton canvas
- Simplistic design- just throw in your yoga gear and go!
- Sling over your shoulder
- Unisex appeal
- No snaps or fasteners
- Fits most mat sizes securely so they don’t fall out
- Lots of color options
- Washable (only cold gentle cycle and hang to dry)
- Heavier mats may cause the bag to dig into your shoulder
- May be too small and too tight fit for some yogis/mats
Best Yoga Back Pack: Aurorae Yoga Mat Carrier BagSee latest price
This yoga backpack or crossbody sling is perfect for college students or bicycle commuters. Your mat is securely strapped on the outside of the pack, which leaves it exposed to the elements but also gives you a simplistic minimalist approach to storage. The interior pocket has plenty of room for clothes, a yoga block, straps, and a yoga towel. I love the exterior zippered pocket for my phone and keys.
The bag is made of durable polyester and slings easily over your shoulder. It is wide, easily adjustable, and the shoulder strap is double-reinforced for comfort. The mat holder fits most thin mats (nothing thicker than ¼” and 72” long, unfortunately). It locks the mat in very securely so you don’t have to worry about it flying out while riding a bike. There are 7 great unisex color options and a 2 year guarantee from Aurorae.
- Large interior compartment for accessories
- Super comfortable shoulder sling strap
- Small zipper exterior pocket for easy access to phone and keys
- Durable polyester material won’t rip or fray
- 7 color options
- Main compartment fits most 15” laptops
- Front flap pocket has a wet liner for sweaty clothes
- Water bottle pocket is handy and strong
- Mat straps are ultra-strong and securely hold the mat
- 2 year guarantee
- Yoga mat is exposed to the elements
- Mat straps on outside of bag
- Doesn’t work for large or extra thick mats
Best Mat Strap: Manduka Go Light Yoga Mat Carrier
The lightweight minimalism of this Manduka mat strap is what makes it so great. The buckles are durable, quiet, and easy to snap around the mat. The exterior zipper pocket is great for personal items like your phone, wallet, and keys. Both the strap and pocket are made of super durable water-resistant polyester fabric. It can’t be washed, but is easy to spot clean. Plus, it fits pretty much any mat size, thanks to the adjustable straps! The only downsides are the lack of shoulder padding and the fact that this mat strap leaves your yoga mat exposed to the elements.
- Lightweight and small
- Adjustable straps fit any size mat
- Velcro-free! Easy, quiet, close buckles
- Buckles are quick-release and OK for people with arthritis
- Exterior zippered pocket for personal items
- Heavy-duty polyester material
- Easy to spot clean
- Minimalist black chic design
- Multipurpose for pilates or fitness exercise mats
- Mat is exposed to elements
- Plastic buckles could break over time
- Unpadded strap may be uncomfortable on the shoulder
Best Stylish Mat Bag: Elenture Yoga Mat BagSee latest price
Elenture steps up the game when it comes to design and aesthetics. These travel bags are super cute and available in a huge selection of colors and patterns, from colorful leaves to Thai elephants to watercolor-style paintings. The design is chic and slick, essentially a cylinder-shaped bag with a synthetic leather zipper and logo emblem. The strap could be more supportive, but it does the job. These bags fit standard yoga mats up to 26” wide and 6” in diameter when rolled up. Unfortunately, ½” thick mats will not fit.
The high-quality canvas fabric is durable and pleasant to the touch. The exterior pocket is simple and great for small essentials like your phone or keys. This bag is the best option as a gift or for traveling yogis. The best thing about it is how easy it is to unzip from the side and toss your mat in. No shoving in from the top or wrestling with strap buckles. There is only one main zipper that keeps the mat in place and protected from any dirt or water.
- Amazing design and pattern options
- Simple large zipper pocket to toss in your mat
- Small exterior pocket for valuables
- Sling over your shoulder for easy transport
- Great gift for a new yogi or traveling yogi
- High-quality canvas won’t rip or fray
- Strap is not very padded or supportive
- Will not fit thick or extra large mats
Most Eco-Friendly: Yoloha Yoga Cork Yoga Mat Bag
If you love eco-friendly cork yoga mats, you will absolutely adore this cork yoga mat bag. It has an earthy look, yet is still minimalist and soft. Yoloha’s cork bag features sustainably harvested cork that is toxin-free, easy to clean, and extremely durable. The bag can hold a standard or XL yoga mat, plus extra gear like a water bottle, block, and towel. There are two separate outside pockets for keeping your valuables safe on-the-go.
The unique “J-zipper” ensures that you can quickly remove your mat from the bag without having to fully unzip it. No more noisy zippers when you sneak into a yoga class late! We also love the fully adjustable shoulder strap made of cotton for maximum comfort. The bottom of the bag has secure grommet holes to allow your mat to air out and breathe after a sweaty hot yoga class.
One of our favorite things about this bag is that it is made WITHOUT any latex, PVCs, or harsh chemicals. It’s ideal for anyone with chemical sensitivities, asthma, or allergies. The cork is 100% natural and renewable, which means you can carry your yoga mat while knowing you are doing right by Mother Earth.
How to Choose the Best Yoga Bag
When you’re picking the best yoga bag for stashing your mat on-the-go, it can be difficult to sort through all the options. There are a thousand different yoga mat bag designs, but the best one for you is going to match your practice, style, and gear. Ask yourself:
- Do I regularly walk to the yoga studio outdoors or in foul weather? If so, get a fully-enclosed water-resistant yoga mat bag that protects the mat from the weather. We love the Alo Yoga Utility Mat Bag.
- Do I have lots of extra gear? You need a bag with enough room for your blocks, towels, straps, yoga accessories, and personal items. You can’t beat the Kindfolk Duffle Bag.
- Is it difficult for me to keep my yoga and workout gear organized? Choose a yoga mat bag with lots of organizational pockets like the ESVAN Yoga Mat Yoga Tote Bag.
- Do I have a big water bottle? Make sure the water bottle holder pocket is stretchy. The lululemon Adjustable Yoga Mat Bag 16L has plenty of space for water storage.
- Do I have issues with sweaty gear starting to stink? Breathability should be your top concern. Go for the Manduka Breathe Easy Full Zip Yoga Mat Carrier Bag.
- Do I have a large or extra thick mat? Be sure you get a big enough to support the size and weight of your yoga mat. The extra roomy Kindfolk Duffle Bag wins again!
- Do I prefer something minimalist and lightweight? Maybe you just need a yoga mat carrier with an extra zipper pocket. The Manduka Go Light Yoga Mat Carrier won’t disappoint.
The best yoga mat bags fit all your gear in one place without feeling bulky or uncomfortable to carry. Moreover, they ensure plenty of airflow and easy cleaning after hot yoga sessions.
Most yoga mat bags are made of canvas, nylon, polyester, or a fabric blend. It is most important to consider the durability and washability of your mat bag. If you practice hot yoga, it is especially important to be able to wash or wipe down your mat bag and get any sweat smells out.
Nobody wants a sling bag or backpack that digs into their shoulder. The best yoga mat bags are designed with ergonomics and comfort in mind. Yoga mats (especially heavier-duty ones) can be pretty heavy, and you want to make sure the carrying strap is reinforced for comfort.
Design and Pockets
There are so many styles of yoga bags available today: backpacks, duffles, sling bags, and pocket-clad mat straps. To find the right style for you, consider if you like to toss your bag in and zip it up or if you prefer to buckle or snap the mat into place.
You may also want some extra pockets for towels, blocks, straps, clothes, and other accessories. The Skooba Design Hotdog Yoga Rollpack delivers on-pocket storage, while the YogiiiTote is the best stash-and-go style.
Quick and Easy Transport
At the end of the day, we all just want to make our lives simpler. A yoga mat bag makes going to the studio and packing up after class that much easier. Have you tried any of these yoga bags? We’d love to know!