The world of social media advertising can be really confusing. Do you need it to grow your yoga business? If so, how do you use it when the advertising platforms are super unintuitive? In this article, I’ll be answering the question on your mind: should I pay for social media advertising in my yoga business?
The short answer: no.
The long answer: maybe.
Here’s a truth I’d like to offer to you right now: you don’t HAVE to pay for social media advertising in your yoga business. You can certainly have a successful business without it.
But, if you:
- Have the money to spend,
- Want to reach a larger audience to grow your business, and
- Are willing to put in the time it takes to learn ads and develop a strategic plan for them,
then social media advertising can be a great tool when used correctly. Ads can help you increase your reach, grow your newsletter list and followers, drive traffic to your website, and increase sales.
But read this article before you start funneling money into ads! Here’s what you need to know before you throw money at ads thinking it’s going to magically 10X your income overnight.
Understand the ads manager
I’m going to be mainly referring to Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram ads. In my opinion, these are the big three of paid social media advertising (Google and YouTube are a whole other topic!).
The first thing you need to do is familiarize yourself with the ads managers. Facebook and Instagram ads operate through the Facebook ads manager, and of course Pinterest has its own ads manager. These platforms are not very intuitive, but with a little time and effort you can learn them. Here are some resources to help you:
- How to Use Facebook Ads to Grow Your Yoga Business on The Yoga Nomads
- Understanding Pinterest Ads Manager
- 10 Best + Free Facebook Ads Courses and Trainings
Develop a strategy
Strategy, strategy, strategy. If you don’t have a goal that’s part of a larger business strategy, you definitely don’t want to be running ads. Here’s what you need to do to figure out your strategy:
- Clarify your driving business goals
- Break those goals down into actionable pieces (for example, if one of your goals is to sell out your online course, a smaller, actionable step to help you get there could be to drive traffic to your website)
- Create an ad as a strategic piece of that actionable step to help you reach those big business goals
Another piece of advice I’ll add is this: make sure you test an ad before you start scaling it. By this I mean: start small and make sure your ad actually meets its goal – drives traffic, gets sales, grows your email list, etc – with a small budget before you increase the budget. Increasing the budget on an ad that doesn’t work at a small budget is going to be a big waste of money!
So to wrap it up, can social media advertising be helpful? Absolutely. Can you have a thriving yoga business without them? Absolutely.
If you have the money to spend, want to reach a larger audience to grow your business, and are willing to put in the time it takes to learn ads and develop a strategic plan for them, then social media advertising is a great fit for you.
Want to learn more about social media for your yoga business? Check out these articles from the Yoga Nomads:
- How to Use Facebook Ads to Grow Your Yoga Business
- How to Use Pinterest for Your Yoga Business
- How to Find the Right Balance in Your Social Media Marketing
- How to Grow Your Instagram Following for Yogis