We all have our favorite yoga clothes for every day. But when we’re traveling (especially if we’re doing fairly minimalist backpacking), clothes need to fit a few guidelines:
- Layer-able (you know what I mean)
Sadly, all my yoga clothes don’t fit these guidelines and those are the ones that never get to experience safari in Kenya or the Ganges in India!
Below is a round-up of some of the best yoga clothes for travel. Enjoy!
1. Sweater. A good sweater is one of the things I refuse to travel without, regardless of where I’m going– because I know I’ll be freezing on the plane without it. A good, multi-purpose sweater for cold planes, trains, buses, hostels, and savasana is a must. Free People Movement’s Better Days Sweat is oversized, cute, and has pockets. Yes, pockets.
For a more polished looking sweater, my pick is Manduka’s Resolution Bell Sleeve sweater.
2. Sports bra. Hands down, the Alexis Mera crop bra wins this one. It’s a sports bra, bathing suit top, and crop top all in one. Their Max-Dri and MicroBlok technology means it dries quickly and won’t stink after a good sweat.
3. Joggers. Why pack joggers? They’re about as multi-purpose as it gets. Cold night on the beach? Joggers. On the plane? Joggers. Bedtime? Joggers. Yoga? Joggers. Running to the Carrefour? Joggers. For a more casual pair, I love the Everyday Pants by Zella, Nordstrom’s in-house yoga brand. For a pair that’s really comfortable but looks ~fancy~ go for Athleta’s Skyline pant.
4. Tee. A few good yoga tees will go a long way– if you pack the right ones, you can wear them for travel, a day out exploring, and your morning Down Dog. I love the Prana Revere Short-Sleeve Tee — it’s super comfy and soft, and comes in several different colors.
5. Tank top. The Prana Path Top is what I’m talking about when I say I need my travel clothes to be versatile. You can really wear this top anywhere– it’s really functional and comfortable, but the design and pattern makes me actually want to wear it all day and even take it out to dinner.
6. Leggings. Athleta’s Salutation 7/8 Tight is by far my favorite pair of leggings for pretty much anything. If you get them in a darker color like navy or black, they’re comfy enough for yoga, hiking, and plane travel and nice enough to wear all day for exploring a city without looking like you just came from a gym.
7. Shorts. I swear by Lululemon’s Run Speed Shorts. Opt for black for less of a workout look and you can get away with wearing these anywhere. They’re comfortable, easy to clean, and they have secure pockets where you can stash your key, subway card, and money.
8. Jacket. I’m of the opinion that thumbholes can make or break a jacket– I just love them. Athleta’s Cloudburst jacket satisfies my thumbhole dreams. Probably more importantly, it’s versatile, warm, comfortable, long, and looks polished.
9. Windbreaker. Lululemon’s Windshell jacket won’t steer you wrong. It’s perfect for trips to rainier, windier places (think Iceland, Seattle, and Vancouver), chillier night, and hikes. This jacket is lightweight, water-repellent, wind-resistant, and thin enough for layering. It also has deep, secure pockets which are really everything that I need in a jacket.
The clothes you pack can make a huge difference on your trip. Ideally, in the sense that you don’t have to think about them at all because you’re so comfortable!
Before you go, don’t forget to check out some of our best travel resources to help you have the best trip possible:
- Ultimate Pre-Travel Checklist
- Ultimate Guide to Travel Insurance
- Top 5 Daypacks for Travel
- Top 5 Yoga Mats for Travel
- Travel Essentials for Women: Anne’s Packing List
- How to Stay Eco-Friendly While Traveling the World
Comment below and tell us about your next trip, and what you’ll be packing!